"The Pure Life"

"The Pure Life"
A very relaxed "white faced monkey" at Manuel Antonio National Park. Photography by mi padre, Dan Whobrey

1.30.2010

Post 4: Host Family

As most of you know, up until a few days before I was leaving, I was "homeless" and jobless. Well, long story short, one of my mom's co-workers (and a friend of ours) who travels to CR often, knew a family I could possibly live with. Their second son (Juan Pablo) is living with Don in Champaign so they offered to "host" me. Perfect timing, if you ask me!

There are 5 people total in the "Castro" family. The parents are Sonia and Abel. They have 3 sons, José (25), Juan Pablo (23) and Andres (22). I think they were nervous about me having only "host brothers" but I assured them that I was used to having brothers! :)

They all live in a cute house in a really nice neighborhood in Heredia (about 10 minutes from San José). They gave me Juan Pablo's room which has plenty of closet space, a desk, bed and T.V. so I was happy!

José spent a year in Alaska, so he speaks and understands a lot of English. Andres knows a lot of English also and would like to spend time in the U.S. sometime after he finishes college (in July). I get to practice my Spanish with Sonia and Abel, which is usually "Spanglish" for me.

They are an extremely kind and generous family. They have gone out of their way to welcome me and make sure I'm comfortable. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment