
The first week of March consists of Liberia’s Fiestas. The Fiestas (parties) begin at midnight with a “Bombetas” show (fireworks) and a Cimarrona band playing typical Guanastecan music. For a week long, there were fireworks all throughout the night usually at midnight and 5 a.m. The first morning we were woke up by these traditional fireworks, I thought there were bombs going off right outside our apartment. Rachael and I were both pretty confused, to say the least.
Among the most popular activities are the daily horse parades (called Topes).

From Thursday to Sunday there were hundreds of people riding their horses around the central park in Liberia. It was really neat to see how well trained many of the horses were, but I felt a little sorry for the horses. Even though they looked really pretty, a lot of them looked uncomfortable in their “uniforms.”
There are a lot of stray dogs, cats, cows, etc. in Costa Rica. On our 25 minute walk to the bus every morning and afternoon, I made friends with a stray dog.

Even though I couldn't’t touch him (he probably had fleas) he would walk along beside me and I would feed him some bread or whatever I had. I ended up naming him “Verde Brownie (green brownie)” because he was a really gorgeous brown dog with bright green eyes. Rachael thought I was crazy for always feeding stray animals and homeless people, but I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for them!
These three kittens sat by our table while we (my mom and I) had dinner on the beach.

How could you not give these precious little faces some food? We wondered if the wait staff knew we were feeding them?!
No comments:
Post a Comment